Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Blaze of Glory?

Ok, so not exactly a blaze of glory, but a blaze none the less. Well I guess I better fess up and tell everyone what happened. I have experienced and learned alot while being pregnant. And my most important lesson came this last weekend. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK, PLEASE DON'T TRY TO, WHILE YOU ARE PREGNANT! Robyn almost burnt the house down this weekend. If Clint wouldn't have been there, I am sure I would have. I was cooking supper, and Clint had just brought in some fresh squash and okra from the garden. So I start to heat up the grease. Well I knew the grease was a little dirty, but figured I could get another cooking out of it. So I start to cut up everything. During this time my mind is also preoccupied with the chicken fried steak I have going and when to start the potatoes and when to start the gravy, and the million other things that occupy my mind during a day. So anyway I notice before I put the okra in that I have more that likely burned the grease. But I tell myself oh well, it should still be ok. So I dump in the okra. That's when it all happend. The grease started overflowing out of the pan. HOT GREASE mind you. I don't know if I screamed for Clint or just panicked and he knew to come running, but he came in there quick. I was just standing there not sure what to do. Clint's daddy was burned really bad last year by hot grease, so I yelled at Clint not to touch it. Well he disobeyed. (probably a good thing) he grabbed the pan and took it off the hot burner. (something I could not have done without burning myself) he was going to turn the burner off, when the flames began blazing. They reached to the top of the vent and were big and huge. I though to grab the fire extinguisher, but Clint told me no, you can't put out a grease fire with a regular extinguisher. So I know you smother it but its a flat stove top and grease is everywhere. SMOTHER WITH WHAT! (later I thought about the baking soda in the fridge or flour, but not at this moment) Of course by now I am crying!! Anyways, long story short, my wonderful hero of a husband got everything under control and cleaned up all the mess. Dinner sucked that night but we lived and so did the house. If he wouldn't have been there, I have no clue what would have happened. As you can imagine, I cried for an hour or two, and then felt like poopie afterwards. It took me all night to get myself back together. Clint tried to comfort me, but at the point I was at, there was no return.
Moral of the story......you husbands are absolutely good for something.....no j/k. Really, just be careful while cooking and pregnant.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

That is histerical!! I could picture everything happening as I read your story. Sorry it got to your emotions. My dinner sucked last night. I usually make these completely awesome blackeyed peas, but I forgot to season them while they were cooking and they tasted like crap. I don't like canned food but I'm sure they would have been better.